As Sheriff Carmine Marceno, I was appointed Undersheriff of Lee County in 2018 following the retirement of the then county sheriff. I care deeply about the safety of our community, and I hope to continue working for the Lee County Florida sheriff department while ensuring that our community remains safe for everyone.
On A Mission to Continually Improve Lee County Sheriff's Department
My team and I have been on a mission to continually improve the department by addressing security issues through innovative, forward-thinking, and effective solutions. Various initiatives which have made Lee safer for our residents include:
- Safe Students, Safe Schools - Student safety has remained a priority for me in my time in office. I’ve introduced an initiative that does not just seek to protect children in schools, but also outside of school. This includes having vehicles from the department trailing school buses and passing out traffic regulations around school zones.
- Improved Animal Rights – I have, on various occasions, had animal abusers hunted down and brought to justice. My zero-tolerance policy on animal abuse is another way of making Lee County safe for everyone. I believe that animal abusers are also likely to abuse children and other members of the community.
As Sheriff, I can advance these and many more progressive initiatives if given another chance to serve the good people of Lee County.
What is the Role of a Sheriff?
Sheriffs have a supervisory role in their department. As such, their responsibilities include:
- Assigning duties to deputy sheriffs
- Creating departmental schedules
- Acting as servers for court documents such as eviction notices
- Management of local county jails
I have worked in law enforcement for more than 20 years. My career began with the New York Police Department, after which I worked for a decade at the Collier County sheriff's office. That experience has given me the perspective, insight, and knowledge, required to serve as sheriff of Lee County.
What's the Importance of Collaboration Between Sheriffs and Other Law Enforcement Agencies?
In the fight against crime, a collaboration between the sheriff's department and other law enforcing authorities is crucial. Staff at the Lee County Florida sheriff department have worked side by side with local agencies to ensure stronger strategies for the ultimate safety of the residents.
I've been at the forefront of addressing safety issues in the recent past concerning our schools. Together with the State Attorney, School Board, and County Commission, we've come up with initiatives to better protect our children.
This collaboration is the reason why the 20th Circuit, where Lee County belongs in the Florida judicial circuit, has maintained the lowest level of crime rates for six consecutive years. With a second stint as Lee County Sheriff, I will continue to ensure that the partnership between the county, police, and the wonderful law-abiding citizens is strengthened for the greater good of our community.
The Right Person for the Job
My intention is to get another chance to faithfully serve the people of Lee County as sheriff. I have found that community engagement, enhanced media relationships, and collaboration with other law agencies go a long way in keeping Lee one of the safest counties in the country. Contact us on (239) 202-7271 to find out how you can be part of our campaign.
View Larger Map